Accessibility Links

Tel: 0114 272 2757

Social Media Links

Changes in Employment COVID-19

SRSB and RSS logos

Changes in Employment and COVID-19

During these times people may be feeling worried with regards to their earnings changing, if they are laid off, or indeed, if they are made redundant.

Most employers are taking advantage of the government's coronavirus furlough scheme where the employer can claim up to 80% of salaries.

This is a brief summary of what benefits you may be able to claim, please note that every household will be different so not one cap will fit all…

If you can’t work because you have coronavirus or you’re following guidance to stay home - this is called ‘self-isolating’ you can request an isolation note from the NHS web site by completing a simple on-line form. You do not need to see a GP or be issued a fit/sick note.

Firstly check with your employer if you or eligible for SSP (statutory sick pay).

If you do not qualify for SSP you may be able to claim a supplementary benefit such as UC universal Credit or New style ESA employment Support Allowance.

If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support and your earnings have dropped you need to do a change of circumstances with your local council to get your claim reviewed this can, again, be done on line.

If you are a client of our charity and need any further advice please contact us on 01709 722 420 in Rotherham and 0114 272 2757 in Sheffield.

Photo of a group of someone abseiling down the Hallam Uni building

We'd love you to join our amazing team of abseilers in June

Read more >
Photograph of a meeting in the centre

Please visit our Client Events page for all the latest telephone, online and in person events

Read more >

Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind links